Week 7 Story: Queen Draupadi


Although, legend may have it that Draupadi was the wife to the brothers known as the Pandavas, in all reality she was really the queen of her own empire. She was gorgeous, powerful and the most eligible bachelorette in all of the kingdoms! Men from all over came to try and  win the chance of taking her out on a date. Unlike many single ladies available, Draupadi did have a daughter. There had been one man she was ever in love with and although they were never married it was a whirlwind romance that unfortunately led to a tragic death. Tanku was his name and he was a fierce warrior. The two met while he was moving up in the ranks of Draupadi's army, her parents and advisors did not approve but being the independent queen she is she did not care. The two spent every moment with one another for a two week period until Tanku was forced into a battle. She would never see him again and Tanku would never be able to meet his daughter.

It had been 4 years since the death of Tanku and many people felt as if it were time for the queen to give love another chance. This time many wanted her to pursue maybe a lord or someone who could be put in less danger. While at dinners and balls men were always making the attempt to ask her to dance or have a word but with one look Draupadi knew they were not worth the time of day. It was not that she was not interested in possibly loving someone else it was that she knew no one could come close to her Tanku.

One morning before the sun rose Draupadi was awaken to awful news! Her daughter, Tanaka (named after her father), had been taken from her bed and nowhere to be found. Draupadi summoned for all the guards in the kingdom to go out and find her heart and soul. Not only was this her daughter but the last living bit of Tanku she had. Whenever she looked into Tanaka’s eyes she saw her lost love. Tanku spoke of wanting to have a family and he would have been obsessed with their baby girl.

Draupadi was in hysterics when one of her head guards came to her saying they had located where Tanaka was. She had been spotted in the neighboring kingdom. Draupadi than wondering why they did not go and bring her back was then made aware that she had been taken by Lord Jatu. Draupadi knew this was not going to be an easy task to get her daughter back.

Lord Jatu was a bitter man who had tried numerous occasions to win over the Queen’s heart. She did not only not find him physically attractive but he had an awful personality. Always thinking he not only knew it all but also that he was the rightful air to the throne. Jatu was holding Tanaku captive and when asked what it would take in order for Draupadi to have her back, he answered with one request…

Stay tuned to see what Jatu asks for!

Authors Note: We all know Draupadi as a the wife to the 5 Pandava brothers from the tale of Mahabharata. She was a respected woman in the stories but not very independent. I found Mahabharata pretty confusing but and there to be a lot of different characters but the one I did not question was the 5 brother’s wife. I mean how could you? What an awful thing to have to deal with 5 husbands! I thought it would be interesting to use her character and put it in a completely different light. She is this independent woman who is not only a single mom but the queen. She has only ever loved one man and although it was for a short time she has never been able to fully recover.

I also found it so easy to write this story that it makes me want to expand on it and continue to develop over the next few storytelling assignments. I feel as though with leaving it where I did I can really take this further and develop a true story line. I see the ability a multitude of trials having to be faced for Draupadi and her young daughter. I think it could also relate to real life and some of the struggles single moms have to go through!


Comments

  1. Hey Madison, I really liked your story! I thought it was a really interesting take on the story of Draupadi. I felt so bad for her having five husbands. Having five husbands or wives would be terrible, nobody likes having to share.

    The part where her husband died and she never remarried made me really sad. I was reading the other day about how Steve Irwin's wife hasn't dated ever since his death and I started tearing up. I never cry but that hit me in the feels.

    Anyways, great story! I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madison. I enjoyed reading your story. Your ending though, I was eager to see what was going to happen, but I guess I have to wait, and hopefully, get to see what happens. I like how your story focuses really only on Queen Draupadi and how you transformed Draupadi to be independent. I can not wait to see what Lord Jatu requests of her. I feel like I know, but I could be completely wrong. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison, I too found myself a little confused over all the characters in the Mahabharata. The first half of the book was a crazy, out of control soap opera with a whole lot of shenanigans among a whole lot of people. I laugh to myself when I think that Draupadi and her five husbands represented the tamest part of the epic.
    Your version of Draupadi achieves it goal to highlight the part of Draupadi’s life before the Pandava brothers. I wonder if we could, perhaps learn more of her affair with Tanku given that he played such a crucial role in her life before the Pandava brothers. Because your story has a focus on her individuality, perhaps a more intimate viewpoint and opinion of her relationship with Tanku could be expressed. That could tantalize the reader with what might possibly be next with the Jatu cliffhanger.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison,
    I absolutely love your story! I like the fact that Draupadi can be very independent while also raising her daughter. You have really good detail weaved throughout this story and an irritating (which is good) cliffhanger at the end. It really does make you want to know what happens next. Also, you ended it really well beforehand. The spot that you picked was perfect because so far it is the climax of the plot. All-in-all, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts